At the Wig Training Centre our goal is to solve your hair loss by using the most cost effective and highest quality solution. We do not advocate for the use of prescription medication or surgery. There can be serious side effects from drugs and it can be expensive (insurance may cover some of it). Surgery can be painful and expensive as well.
Hair loss can be very upsetting and can impact your self esteem. Both men and women can go to great lengths to treat hair loss.
Our expert teacher will show you the best treatment option, a wig, made in as little as four days.
What causes hair loss?
- Genes: Heredity is the most common cause of hair loss for women and men. Male and female pattern hair loss is called Androgenic Alopecia. Inherited genes cause hair follicles to shrink and stop growing. This usually starts as you get older (American Academy of Dermatology).
- Age: Hair growth slows with age. Hair follicles stop growing hair, resulting in thinning and colour loss. Receding hairlines in women and men are common (WebMD).
- Alopecia Areata: This disease develops when your body’s immune system attacks hair follicles. Hair loss can be anywhere on your body (Mayo Clinic).
- Cancer treatment: Chemotherapy and radiation can result in losing your hair within a few weeks after starting.
- Childbirth, illness, or life stressors: A couple of months following childbirth, an illness, or surgery can cause hair loss. Stressful times in your life cause hair loss as well.
- Damaging Hair care: Coloring or getting a perm can result in hair loss.
- Hairstyle: Pulling back your hair tightly (such as with a ponytail) can result in permanent hair loss.
- Hormonal imbalance: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome can result in cysts on ovaries and hair loss. Stopping birth control pills can result in temporary hormonal imbalance.
What are my Treatment Options?
Products with minoxidil (such as over-the-counter Rogaine) can regrow hair or slow hair loss. Six months of this drug is needed to show results.
Getting off certain kinds of medication can result in hair loss prevention and growth of new hair.
De-stressing your life
Hair transplant surgery from one part of the head to a bald spot can work.
Wigs Work Best!
Wigs are the preferred option. They are relatively easy to make and the cost is much lower than some of the other treatment options.
American Academy of Dermatology
Johns Hopkins Medicine